Clan H*EA*T

Clan forums and banter

looking to upgrade my SSD

Everything else!

Moderator: Nero

looking to upgrade my SSD

Postby MrSk » Sun May 05, 2013 11:41 am

Hey fellas. Iam really fed up with my current SSD playing up all the time and plus its only 120Gig.
Been doing a little research.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3132_7-575 ... rade-time/

Iam leaning towards either;
http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-d ... 51437.html
or
http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-d ... 54755.html

Iam unsure weather to just settle for 256Gig or go all out and get 512? I guess i could afford both but not sure i want to spend almost $500.
I havent shopped around too much, had a quick look at Amazon but they dont ship em outside the US by the looks of it, had a quick look on e-bay but looking at MSY's price list, they look the go!

They have the Samsung 840 pro for $135/$244/$499(128/256/512) and the OCZ Vector for $148/$255(128/256) or The Plextor M5 Pro for $135/$259(128/256).
Guess i could research more or at least shop around a bit more, especially seeing as MSY usually have very limited stock and wont order a specific part for you.
Anyways, opinions?, advice?
Thanks.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Re: looking to upgrade my SSD

Postby SuperRoach » Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah in hindsight I think 120 gig ssd are the devils thing with all the repartioning going on. Isn't Kem on like a 64 gig one? AHAHAHAHA. hehe.

Remember the OCZ Vector are the cheapest available and have had an average track record in the past. You've had some bad luck with your ssd and its about time you get one that doesn't drive you nuts and lets you just play..

Keep an eye on ozbargain, as they tend to have sales on ssds - lots of people are after them as well. $380 - 400 is a sweet spot for 512gig ssd, and I recommend you go for that.

Infact if you look in staticice:
http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search. ... ssd&spos=1

You'll see you could get some for that price now - the difference with the sales is that you can get a better branded one.

Also with an ssd they are much easier to post - consider buying online for the cheaper price advantage. The price difference may let you buy a better quality drive.

As you can see I'm leaning towards the 512 - I've got a 128gig, I freaking love it and it's made my computer so comfortable I'm adverse to moving to a new pc :P

The new pc has a 180gig ssd, which I easily filled (admittedly with junk while copying files across), which makes me want to think more of the future.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Roach, looking at the link now.
Yeah 120 too small not sure if i need 512 but prolly better spending that little bit more, especially if i can get a good price.
I'd be surprised if Kem only had a 60 cos he's so obsessed with upgrading his PC but that dose sound about right and i guess he's been strapped for cash for a while.
Yeah i was planning to talk to kem and Tical seeing as they follow PC tech much more than i plus Tical being a technician and all, could maybe get me a good price but i haven't gotten around to it.
EDIT:Bugga the "Samsung 512GB SSD 830 Series - SATA III 6Gbs, 2xnm Toggle DDR NAND, 3-Core ARMv9 MCX Controller" for $389 is out of stock QQ.
They do have the "Samsung 500GB SSD 840 Series- SATA III 6Gbs" in stock for $405. Dosent say if they are 2.5 or 3.5 though? oh its pre-order...even though it says 5+ available..
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 pm

I don't think there are any 3.5" drives that are ssd being made - they are all 2.5inch, with brackets to make them fit in the bigger bay.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Mon May 06, 2013 10:48 pm

^well there you go.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby MrSk » Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Man doing my head in there's massive price differences and iam too lazy to read all reviews and specifications.
i mean you can pay from $388 right up to around $580 for a 500-512G SSD.
The samsung that i want, there's a big difference in price between the 830 and the 840 but also between the 840 and the 840 pro.
I can get the 840 for $429 or the pro for $549. There's a 12GB difference in size. Cant decide if the price difference is worth spending that bit more?
Still waiting for Tical to tell me the whole sale prices he can get.
EDIT: oooh found the 840 pro for $520 with 5 year warranty...hmmm...*keeps searching*
oooh $512 lol
$499!
Hmm now iam leaning towards just getting the 250(or 256 what ever) one for $244....(Samsung 840 pro).
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Like i said, keep an eye on ozbargain.
840pro:
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/red ... i=&rpos=14
$499

Difference between pro and normal in the samsung: 3 vs 5 year warranty, half the write speed (thats still pretty darn quick)

Use staticice to find good online store prices.

this is still relevant:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... ,3269.html

That's not bad.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah i spent a fair bit of time searching and i can get one for $499 locally(if in stock) or just go the 256GB($244). Kinda a hard decision. But yeah thanks for your efforts.
EDIT: prolly get either the 840 pro 256GB or the 840(not pro) 512. Decisions decisions. Anyway Tical will get back to me tomorrow on what prices he can get.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby MrSk » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks like Tical can get me a sweet fucking deal. Samsung 840 Pro 500GB for $390 or teh 250BG for $180. Problem is he is off to Sydney in the morning. Not sure for how long or if he can be bothered helpin me out tonight so may have to wait. But for that price sounds like it will be worth the wait.
EDIT: ah sweet looks liek my man gonna drop it off after work. Too bad i lent my Win7 disc to a work mate liek 6 months ago an aint got it back yet. I meant to remind him the other day but forgot, i reminded him today so hopefully he brings it tomorrow...i dont have his # anymore. Guess i could go get it from his house after work or something. Or maybe Tical will have a copy on him? hmmm
2ND EDIT: lol he got the prices mixed up with the 840 and the 840 pro. Fuck it iam just gonna get the 256GB one for $235.
3RD EDIT: lol ok so now its $247 but he talked me into cos its only $3 more than other places plus the company he works for handled the warranty, paid over teh phone, no extra fee AND he dropping it off for me later!
Swizeet.
Now i just need my work mate to bring my win7 disc in tomorrow! zzzzzzzzt
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Yay happy ending!!
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm

yeah pretty much. He's dropping off a Win7 disc for me also. But not sure if i'll set it up tonight or not, depending on what time he get here and shit.
EDIT: Would be a happier ending if a cute Asian girl was delivering it for me.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm

I knew I shouldn't have said happy ending.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 pm

lol.
It appeared for a moment(s) there that it wasn't going to be so happy after all.
It had appeared that one of my hard drives had disappeared. I mean a partitioned drive, one half of it was missing. I thought something had gone wrong and i had lost all the data on it.
Then for a moment i feared that i have may have been a massive noob and installed windows over it instead of the ssd but i was sure that wasn't the case.
I was like WTF!? cos only three Hdd's showing up in bios and in device manger but my house mate showed me how to get into computer manager.
Turned out i could see the other drive but not access it. Figured it out in the end though!
Not sure why the fuck it did that?
And now when i was all happy thinking that i would be playing BF3 shortly, i fucked up MASSIVELY!
I googled how to back up origin games before i removed the old ssd and did the format.
I backed up the battlefield 3 game folder.
For some stupid fucking reason, after re downloading and installing Origin, i decided to CUT and paste the back up folder into the origin games folder(instead of copy, leaving a spare back up).
Now, i followed the direction but it did not work. Apparently after i did that when i launched origin i should've had the option to install BF3 yet i only had the option to download it.
Did some more googleing and see another way. Download like 2-3% of the game, then pause, add the copy and paste the contents of the back up folder over the top, resume the download and whola!
Well, this didn't work either. At first i didn't understand why, that is until i realised my lack of sleep casue me to be very noob. I copied the bf3 folder into the bf3 folder lol(rather than copy and paste the contents into the new Bf3 folder)...
So, i did this all again and this time i did it correctly. Still didn't work.
Was like WTF? then i realised that my back up folder was only 14GB.....not the 34GB that it previously was!????????????????????
The only explanation that i can think of is that, i was downloading and installing programs while the back up folder was transferring over and i was doing alot of restarts.... Iam guess i must have restarted mid way through the transfer......loosing half of the back up in the process......which may as well have been the whole thing because it hasn't worked at all. I paused the download at 2% and with 14GB pasted into the game folder it remained at 2% when i restarted the download...
Currently at 8%....no battlefield for me...
Guess i'll just have to wait to see how fast that i can load in now QQ lol
So yeah, it was a happy ebding Roach but my plans tonight are ruined. I was planning to play shit loads of Bf seeing as i have barely played at all for two week, and will most likely be out for most of the weekend.

Moral of the story? get some sleep! lack of sleep is BAD! me can no concentrate and act like a disorientated NOOB.(as is evident)
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Lack of sleep bad, but gaming good!
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 pm

yeah dunno why i posted the rant really. Its all EXP!
Planning to play now but not sure much point, just Kem an Biggie on so i may as well just play with randoms... :P
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Return to Off topic