Clan forums and banter

The Valve employee handbook

Everything else!

Moderator: Nero

The Valve employee handbook

Postby SuperRoach » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:04 am

http://newcdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf

about 3.9mb.

If you ever wanted to know what would happen if you get a job at valve... here is the awesome handbook you receive starting there. You get to learn about how all the tables have wheels (so you can relocate to a different part in the company at any time), what they do well and don't do well.

If you've read it, what do you think? can their kind of model survive or become more common place in the future?
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Re: The Valve employee handbook

Postby Nero » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Look, organic structures like Valve are important for a company to develop, but it depends on how big they eventually become. The other thing is, while they might have an organic hierarchy, it might be having an adverse affect on their deadlines. Being self-funded obviously allows them to not have to rely on things like publishers being a pack of cunts, which they usually are.

It all sounds quite excellent, but so did Google when it originally revealed what its big new headquarters was all about.
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Nero
Two Fisted Journalist

Postby SuperRoach » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Your probably right nero, and I can see when they announce things it's very common dates slip for them. However the things they do release have a polish right up there with Blizzard and consistently make games that are good without relying on something formulaic like the call of duty series.

Google I would argue without knowing what it's like internally was great with a focus on employee happiness and self learning (dev time), however the newer ceo appears to have a hell bent focus on Google + and trimming projects not directly profitable.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby Nero » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:05 am

Look, I'm pretty sure when someone shows you a playground which is the workplace that is the Google HQ it's more about distracting you from the 30 hour days you'll be working.

Also, if you look at the Valve handbook, you see there's a sub-section roughly worded "what should I be doing/working on". So I'm guessing that there isn't a very clear amount of task focus there, hence the slipped deadlines.

Nero
Two Fisted Journalist

Postby Dragazarth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 pm

This isn't actually their employee handbook, or even the situation, I think this surfaced last year quite some time ago, and I heard that this isn't really the case, there is some hierarchy, while not as strict as some other companies it exists. I assumed this was more for the laughs than anything else
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby SuperRoach » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Not sure about the rest, however this is the real deal.
http://www.valvesoftware.com/company/Va ... LowRes.pdf

Backup from an intern who worked there:
http://www.quora.com/Valve-Corporation/ ... ir-culture

I was an intern so I can only answer on a somewhat superficial level. My experience was obviously very different from a full time Valve experience, but as far as I can tell...

Yes, the manual reflects the culture well.

There aren't managers. (As an intern obviously I had people I was answering to, but in a lot of ways it was more like half a dozen coworker rather than a single "manager.") Oh, and the "organization diagrams" at the start of the manual were actually being created on the fly and passed around via email--along with pictures of monkeys and things--while I was there (summer 2011). So people seem to agree with this. I have no idea how the flatness works so well, but it does.

I would also add that the senses of both humor and kindness in the manual are also wonderfully pervasive at Valve. It was a great summer, and it seems like a great place to be a full time employee, too.

It was also confirmed as the real deal by valve in this kotaku article.
http://kotaku.com/5903955/read-valves-e ... ts-amazing
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby Nero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Clearly said intern didn't cut the mustard...

Nero
Two Fisted Journalist

Return to Off topic