Clan H*EA*T

Clan forums and banter

Brand new server!

Anything goes!

Brand new server!

Postby SuperRoach » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 am

Well, The server This is on has aged well, but has many parts which can't be upgraded anymore.

The operating system for example which hosts the website, mumble and the email, is more than 7 years old. Pretty impressive.

In tech speak, It will have an extra cpu core, slightly higher network speeds, and nearly double the bandwidth for the same price. A new server has been spun up, and I have about two weeks before this one is switched off. The goal by that date is to have mumble able to switch over, faster and nicer with zero downtime.

The rest though, is up for thoughts. Should I Keep the forums? Should I keep things as are, then slowly transition to newer things to help revitialise the place? Throw up heaps of experimental stuff on the wall and see what sticks, portal 2 cave johnson style?

What is definite is that it will be Ubuntu 12.04 for the initial deployment. And then I plan to upgrade it to 14.04 As soon as its available (which may mean a much less painful upgrade.)

If you connect to mumble using the IP Address, update it now:
Address: clanheat.game-server.cc
Port 64738 ( it's the default)
The link to joins in the top right *points*

The reason for this is one day soon, the IP Address will change, and you'll be wondering what happened. If you use the address, It will be updated with the fresh new IP when it happens seamlessly. Yay!

Should I be asleep instead of awake at 3am? yes.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Re: Brand new server!

Postby lfunkyl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:42 pm

What's the alternative to 'keep the forums'? Not having a forum at all?

I think personally a style change could be good as well, try and make the place more modern?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H*EA*T member since: 27/10/06

lfunkyl
7 Years on HEAT and Counting!

Postby p4rty4nim4l » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm

No forums wouldn't be good... :(
p4rty4nim4l
heat great helper
heat great helper

Postby MrSk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok I'll update the mumble details. Don't know what to suggest really. However iam not done with Bf yet. i just went premium(well, iam still waiting for the product code to be e mailed..).
Hard to see how a revival is possible unless the clan can find a new game that everyone wants to play. I think atm everyone just playing different games with a handful or so of the guys.
Not sure if any new games are on the way that could spark new intrest?
I know some guys play pay day 2 and rust but i dont. I play chivalry sometimes and plan to play some serious sam. Um i have worms clan wars..
Seen dudes playing the titan fall beta but i know bugger all about that.
I was kind of considering playing an MMO for something different but i dunno. The stalker one(not a steam game) has been recommended to me?
I know some guys play star trek but i thought it was shit.

Hey roach, if i join another clan for BF4 can i still be in HEAT for future games?

EDIT: ah the details are the same as they already were? ^^;
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby SuperRoach » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Just realised in my tiredness - Mumble (the client, the thing you use) doesn't need to be updated or reinstalled etc. Make sure you are using 1.2.5 anyway just in case though.

Alternative to keeping the forums would be no forums, or using one of the future tech things which leans towards discourse. Tbh we likely would have to eventually use something like that, because new users would see forums like this as "old school". Dunno?

The next game that might be interesting could be Titanfall -
Testing..

Competitive in BF4 is a no go at the moment. There is no interest due to some minor bugs that are in there preventing it from being playable. However, in the next week, Platoons are coming into BF4. That's right, incase you didn't forget, BF4 Hasn't even supported having a "clan" since launch. That makes it pretty darn tricky to do anything in the first place.

You can go in another clan I guess if you want, but really there's not much point for HEAT - as an occasional meetup that people go less and less because of not being on.

Looking forwardd too second strikee. oh weait net capped :( Should be doing the server stuff if i wasn't so tired.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby MrSk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Just seems like "life" has gotten in the way for the majority of HEAT i suppose? No ones getting any younger hey. I really cbf really having to play too seriously or get to know new ppl but at same time it would be nice to have ppl to actually play with. hence me being at the cross roads.
Join new clan or just ditch BF?
But i just went premium! lol..
Every now an then its like "fuck it back to single player console(well not just console) goodness!" ^^;
You guys should check out "long live the queen"! its awesome. (lol) :P
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby Dragazarth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 am

Perhaps we could merge into either a larger clan, or maybe a collection of smaller clans? Would be difficult getting consensus though.
I've played the Titanfall beta, and tbh I'm not all that interested by it. A lot of the competitive stuff these days seem a little too competitive, and it's hard for me with uni and college etc to find times. I will have a VPN this year though, so I will have access to local gaming servers with low ping :D

Edit
Also I'm a massive lurker on the forums, I rarely post and I normally only check out the posts that appear on my RSS feed
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby lfunkyl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:49 am

I'm the same with Drag, I lurk here very often, just don't post much.

Bigfoot, Dagget, princess, BBturn and I have been Rust lately. It's in alpha at the moment but is very addictive. $20 on steam.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lfunkyl

Postby p4rty4nim4l » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:21 am

Personally I won't be ditching BF, as frustrating as it gets at times, it's pretty much the only game I play. And the new expansion is pretty bloody good!!!
I can hardly ever get on at the same time as you SK, which sucks, and most of the others are never on Mumble anyway.
I'd hate to leave HEAT cause I'm quite happy here. Maybe merging with GC is an option as we've all played with them and so on. I usually play with them when no HEAT boys are on. They seem to be very similar people to us, just in a bigger clan. I think what's helped them a lot are their BF servers, maybe that's an option for us? But then again we need some players active to play on the servers.
And yes I log on to the forums a few times a day too, but there's nothing much to post about...
Any more ideas???
p4rty4nim4l
heat great helper
heat great helper

Postby MrSk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I think everyone got sick of posting songs that no one actually listens too, people got sick of my pic spams or were just too afraid to click on them lol...I think we all too lazy to watch the one billion vids that Roach posts, i dont think many of us actually bother to make threads about new games we are playing or want to very often, all the other HEAT members that like anime don't post here anymore, no one posts in the BF4 section.
Shit all i like is hip hop and anime and video games really but can only post about them so much^^;;
True like what Roach said. Forums in general seem pretty dead now. Must be all that facebook and twitter?

Yeah i was kind of leaning towards =UF= to be honest. As far as GC i haven't actually played with them bugga all myself. i dont know any of them but i've been aware that some of you guys were playing with them alot and i hear they are good blokes and usually always have a few people on. I know bigfoot was considering joining, i think i even seen he and kem wearing GC tags at one point? ( i could be wrong?).

Tical was starting to play more with me again but now hes back on deus ex and he plays skyrim too so..lol
I see nzmikenz on a bit. I've noticed that orbit is playing bf again just recently. i chatted with him briefly in origin and joined a server he was in last night. he asked if we play actively.

Dose anyone know what happened to jim? i know he was playing rust alot too but he seems to have vanished?

Dose anyone know anything about the on line stalker game? a guy at my work loves it. But he's Russian and its a Russian game so maybe that's it? lol Pain said its shit but he says that about 99.99% of things so...

Anyways the new expansion for BF is out so hopefully it sparks at least a little interest!

And yeah party, i dunno wtf?, i was doing the right thing and going to bed early so i was missing out on playing with everyone alot because it seemed everyone would start late evening ish and i had nights i was up way too late (like 11-12) but now iam been having nanna naps after work and staying up till like 12-1 and haven't seen many people on lol.

I cant lie though i was playing kings bounty alot for a while there and was over BF. I think it was china rising that made me re interested.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby lfunkyl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Jim's been playing Rust lately.

I'm just updating bf4 and then I'll be in shortly for a few games.

lfunkyl

Postby MrSk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm

gonna have a nap then dinner then be back on!
EDIT:oh shit look at the time...maybe i should just have dinner then jump back on? ... Ive had two coffees and an energy drink but iam so used to my arvo nap that iam feelin it....might have to have a shower and/or some scotch or sumthin.
Whats the bet that tonight ill actually go to bed on time for teh first time in weeks and then miss yas gain..lols. Or ill get my second wind and stay up late even without a nap and be a complete ride off at work tomorrow...

On a side note i did play briefly with =UF= before. I stayed in HEAT mumble though and then it was good to play with funk and orbit. Apart from being on the shitty team that is^^;
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Postby p4rty4nim4l » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

I only sort of know Serpent from UF, but I can vouch for all (or 99%) of the GC boys - like I said previously they are very similar to us, and probably closer to us in age than UF maybe?

I also played with GC tags with Bigfoot and Kem, but that was mainly for their BF3 scrims and they got owned... Bigfoot kept the tags on just to stir Shiftiez lol!!! In saying that I have no plans of jumping ship.

I quickly played the new maps and loved it, so I'll be playing a lot more. Basically it's just a matter of time for me, as in I don't have much of it and most of all I've fucked my back up again, so sitting down is very painful for now.
p4rty4nim4l
heat great helper
heat great helper

Postby SuperRoach » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 pm

energy drinks knock the crap outta me lol.

Fucking your back up is not good :( we have a guy at work with a messed up abck and he has a mostly sit down job, makes things v unpleasent for him.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby SuperRoach » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 am

Server update is due, I was meant to do a bunch today but got sleepy.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby p4rty4nim4l » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:09 am

SuperRoach wrote:Server update is due, I was meant to do a bunch today but got sleepy.

Have an energy drink! :lol:
p4rty4nim4l
heat great helper
heat great helper

Postby SuperRoach » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 pm

I feel asleep in the chair I was that tired lol. Agh so many responsibilities.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby SuperRoach » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 am

The new ip address (again read above, use the name, not the IP Address) will be 182.160.160.208 ... Zipping up files and copying it across. The mumble server hasn't been setup there yet, so I can't switch it over yet.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Return to General discussion