Clan H*EA*T

Clan forums and banter

Which game has the best ending?

Anything goes!

Which game has the best ending?

Postby SuperRoach » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 pm

So I was trawling the internet today and found an article on Megagames, regarding which games have the best ending in them.

And it got me a little bit angry.

The full list reads as follows:
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops

2. Halo: Reach

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

5. God of War

6. Red Dead Redemption

7. Portal

8. Metal Gear Solid 4

9. Final Fantasy VII

10. Heavy Rain

11. Super Mario Bros.

12. Pokemon Black and White

13. Halo 3

14. Halo: Combat Evolved

15. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

16. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

17. Portal 2

18. Grand Theft Auto IV

19. Mass Effect 2

20. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Lol yeah, Blackops is apparently first? This is a list guiness book has rated from a bunch of people.
But read on and it gets worse. For example, 16, Assassins Creed Brotherhood while a good game, has no right to be rated higher than Portal 2's magnificent ending. Why is Pokemon even on the list??

The full list is here:
http://megagames.com/news/guinness-blac ... gnet_22109

Best ending for me... Probably Heavy Rain, or God of War 3...
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Re: Which game has the best ending?

Postby Dragazarth » Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 pm

I think this list is quite old
But I believe it was just a popularity vote, (they needed as many numbers as possible) and possibly attended more by console gamers than anyone else. The list is rubbish, not worth talking about. I wouldn't be able to place where my favourite ending occurred in but definitely NOT blops
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby Enduwolf » Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 am

I'd say I actually finish less than half of the games I play, but yeah, I think this was a spur of the moment list - and more people probably voted for the games they liked the most than the endings.

Two spring to mind for me - Fallout: New Vegas - I love how they detailed what happened to every faction because of you. Great closure; and Diablo II - where you find out that the visitor to the crazy house was Baal and he torches the place.
Enduwolf
Found the post button on occasion..

Postby SuperRoach » Sat May 12, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah and at the time, those cinematics were so far ahead too! (diablo 2)
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby SH1FT13Z » Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 pm

God, Blizzard make the cinematics so beautiful, the cinematic teasers for D3 make you wish they made a movie out of them!

Metal Gear Solid 2 was one of the first times I had finished a game, simply put, best feeling in the world. Not sure how other people thought of the ending though, was a bit trippy and all.
"Hey, suck my dick"
Bigfoot on how to pick up girls.
"Hey, put down that book and suck my dick"
Bigfoot on how to pick up girls that are reading.
SH1FT13Z
Got the apron, getting ready to kick it
Got the apron, getting ready to kick it

Postby SuperRoach » Sat May 12, 2012 4:35 pm

The mgs series all had excellent endings. Did you play through Mgs1 first? that may have been a bit weird going through out of order, except 3 which takes place as a kind of prequal
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby Nero » Sun May 13, 2012 3:54 am

If it was just a popularity vote, I doubt it's a Guinness World Records thing...

Also, there's plenty of other games with great endings made before 2004... Deus Ex, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, any Blizzard game made before the 2001.
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Nero
Two Fisted Journalist

Postby SuperRoach » Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 pm

I thought that too nero, but then
Guinness World Records has compiled a list of the Top 50 Videogame Endings of All Time as voted for by 13,519 gamers.

"The list will cause heated debate among passionate gamers and provide further evidence of the growing sophistication and popularity of videogames," the Guinness organization said in the press release. In fact, most of the games listed don't have especially impactful endings and - to us - the list feels more like a list of favorite games.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Postby Dragazarth » Sun May 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes but probably 11000 console gamers who couldn't read and thought it said what is the best videogames of all time
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby Enduwolf » Sun May 13, 2012 3:56 pm

I don't really remember the ending to either of the first two Deus Exs - I just remember the final boss in the first one being a letdown because they spent the whole game talking him up and then you never actually got to fight him.

Although most games final fights are a let down - by the time you get there you're way ahead of the power curve and a boss that would have torn your sphincter out halfway through is now bleeding and crying like a little bitch
Enduwolf

Postby SuperRoach » Sun May 13, 2012 7:03 pm

The "boss" in the first one I remember you got to fight.... Although it was hyped up a lot, he certainly was fairly tough. Although maybe it was another charecter or something.
speaking of final fights, What the fuck were they thinking with FF8! The final boss fight took me 3 hours (usual multiple final foorrrrrmmzzzz stuff), as they gradually stole every kind of decent attacking thing.

The thing with it too, was it had a move that would steal one element or part you had. So it would be pot luck if they would steal something useless, or your revive spell etc, which crippled you heavily. So the luck factor was a decent amount.
Oh oh and while I'm at it, She had a "summon" that lasted a few minutes and she done it repeatedly.

For some reason Final Fantasy 7's Summon from Sephiroh gets away with it because of how mind blowingly awesome it was.
SuperRoach
Overly Verbose

Return to General discussion