Clan H*EA*T

Clan forums and banter

Wimax?

Anything goes!

Wimax?

Postby MrSk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Hey guys. My ADSL turned to crap a lil while ago and apparently its not my service provider(Adam internet(yes they aren't the best i know)), but its that the lines are degraded. I was at 300kb's but now iam stuck at an even more mesley 160 kbs.
Its annoying i mean at least its stable and fine for gaming but its crap for multi tasking and downloading.
Anyway Adam internet has offered me $100 off the set up cost if i go Wimax. Looking at the plans it looks rather cool, pretty good plans, decent price for decent download quoter , great speeds.
Now its common knowledge that wireless isnt great for gaming and not recommended. Alot of people say avoid if your a muilti player gamer, especially FPS games. But in doing research via google i couldnt really find much and i think alot of what i found and the saying that gaming sucks with wireless is perhaps outdated? Wireless has improved alot, i get the impression.
I dunno i've never had wireless before.
The speeds of Wimax look great but of course drop outs are the last thing that i want and in game lag.
I guess another problem is, with the set up costs, even with the $100 discount i would still need to go on a rather long contract for the set up to not be majorly expensive. So its a risk if it did suck and i guess technology could change alot in 2-3 years.
Cable is the other option but looking at big ponds plans its a bit out of my budget for the type of plan that i would want, especially with going back to day shift soon(pay cut).
if i was reading correctly a 100 gig plan would cost around $110 a month and the set up fee with no contract was over $400 or two year contract $300 something.
Wimax i think for two years $300 set up, three years $150 but i get that discount. And i think a 100 gig plan around $60 a month.
I am about to renew my lease here so with crappy old degraded lines ADSL is out the question unless i just keep the slow internet that i have now.

Anyway? thoughts/comments/suggestions/recommendations/experiences?(if any of you could be bothered reading all of that)
Thanks.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Re: Wimax?

Postby Dragazarth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm

hmmmmm
Well im not sure about WiMax but i know for things like 3g and 4g the phone wireless internet speed is dependant upon numbers of users using the network.
ie. 1 person in the network get 100mbps, 2 people makes it drop to 50mbps etc etc though it is dependant on how much they are using and the theoretical speed will still show up as being bigger than it really is
My not very useful suggestion is to have a look on whirlpool.net.au since all things internet related in australia are discussed there and you will be able to guage how well wimax works with Adamnet.

I dont know where you live but I would suggest trying to switch over to iinet/internode (internode is now owned by iinet) for adsl2+.
Whirlpool has a good plan comparison thing too
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby Dragazarth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

is this your thing?

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/isp-35-10 ... -wimax.htm

This is a plan search with details I guessed:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=s ... e=5&sort=1

But go to this and put in your correct details
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Dragazarth
Grilling it damn good
Grilling it damn good

Postby MrSk » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 pm

I'll have a look at that a bit later. Thanks.
KrazySumwhat
MrSk
Practitioner

Return to General discussion